OFFICIAL UPDATE, February 1: At 1 pm, tomorrow (Saturday, February 2), Freedom Press bookshop solidarity cleanup! We won't be beaten so easily. Please share.
In the early hours of this morning the Freedom Press bookshop in Whitechapel was firebombed. At about 5:30am a window was smashed and petrol poured into the shop and set alight. Freedom Press was founded in 1886, it is the largest anarchist publishing house in Britain and the oldest of its kind in the English speaking world. Alongside its many books and pamphlets, the group also publish a monthly magazine, Freedom, which is the only regular anarchist newspaper published nationally in the UK. Other titles published by Freedom Press have included Freedom Bulletin, Spain and the World, Revolt! and War Commentary.
The Press was founded in 1886 by a group of friends, including Charlotte Wilson and Peter Kropotkin, who were already publishing Freedom newspaper, and has operated, with short breaks, ever since. Much of the bookshop’s recent history was tied up with Vernon Richards, who was the driving force behind both it and Freedom Newspaper from the 1930s until late in the 90s.
The manager of the bookshop Andy Meinke, speaking from the pub where the staff have been forced to relocate said, ‘Freedom will carry on in the same haphazard way it always has – the Fascists have just driven us to the pub a little bit earlier in the day than otherwise. Although copies of the Raven have been irreparably damaged which, as you can imagine, is a great loss to the movement. We thank all those who have contacted us today with their solidarity. We remain united in the struggle against fascism.’
Emergency meeting in the White Hart to anybody local.
If any of you have any money to spare and would like to help out, then any cheques should be made out to "Freedom Press."
Anybody who can help clean up should join their group and wait for info:
* Freedom was firebombed at 5:30am today. No one was hurt. Freedom Press Bookshop is still assessing everything however it's mostly the shop that was damaged.
OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM FREEDOM PRESS BOOKSHOP
* 1pm, tomorrow (saturday 2nd) Bookshop solidarity cleanup! We won't be beaten so easily. Please share! People have been asking about what to bring: useful things would include dust masks, gloves (gardening & rubber) and cleaning gear
* DONATIONS: We are setting up a donation page. In the meanwhile, anyone who wants to donate can do so by ordering a book/s through the www.freedompress.org.uk website, and emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that your purchase was a donation. Please spread the word!
* Cheques can be made out to FREEDOM PRESS and sent to 84b Whitechapel High Street, London E1 7QX. We're still able to get our post
* Any other sort of donation (such as BACS), email email@example.com and we'll get back to you asap
* We'll also have a donation bucket at the cleanup tomorrow
Many thanks for the solidarity and fundraising help to rebuild the shop:
* From Iron Column Records (http://
We want to put together a compilation to raise funds for Freedom Bookshop in London, which has suffered severe damage in an arson attack (probably carried out by fascists). It will be made available as a 'pay what you want' download.
We are asking any musicians to donate an unreleased track (plus any artwork / lyrics etc.) to include. We'd really like to have lyrics that deal with freedom / anarchism / anti-fascism, but all contributions will be considered Tracks will need to be in WAV / AIFF / FLAC format (no mp3s please), and details of how to send them will be given to you when you get in touch.
We want to get this done ASAP, so the deadline for submissions is the end of February.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Donate a poem for Freedom: https://www.facebook.com/
* Freedom Press Bookshop Group:
UPDATE - Freedom Press are setting up a donation page. In the meanwhile, anyone who wants to donate can do so by ordering a book/s through the www.freedompress.org.uk website and emailing us at email@example.com to let us know that your purchase was a donation. Thanks!